Blue Devils Brass Auditions – Video Submission
This method of auditioning is ONLY to be used if an individual cannot attend one of our other live auditions.
→ Fill out the registration form to receive your audition packet and send in the materials listed below.
Video auditions will ONLY be accepted until December 11, 2019.
To submit your video(s):
- Create an unlisted video on YouTube for us to review. You can submit up to three videos. See the specific requirements below.
- Once you have your audition video(s) prepared and uploaded, sign into your account, click on "Audition Info", and submit the url(s) of your videos.
Once we have received and viewed your musical and visual audition videos, we will inform you of your status. It will either be a) You are invited to the first full corps camp in January to continue and complete your audition (meaning we think you have the talent and ability to make the corps, but need to see you live and in a full ensemble setting before making a final decision), or b) Unfortunately we cannot offer you a spot at this time. No outright acceptance will be made via video auditions.
Create an unlisted (not public or private) YouTube video (or multiple videos) for us to review. This video (or videos) should include all of the audition exercises and selected excerpts included in the audition packet. (Available after filling out the application form.)
Create an unlisted (not public or private) YouTube video (or multiple videos) for us to review. This video (or videos) should include all of the required material listed below. Please feel free to contact Todd Ryan with any visual questions.
For your visual audition, please demonstrate the following:
- Tempo changes: Set a metronome to 180 BPM, then march forward at 8 to 5, switching foot speed every 8 counts (8 @ 180 BPM, 8 @ 90 BPM, and so on for 4 reps). Do this a second time, moving backwards.
- Step size changes: Set a metronome to 180 BPM, then march forward 12 steps at 12 to 5, then 6 steps at 6 to 5. Do this 4 times, the 1st and 3rd time at 180 BPM, the 2nd and 4th time at 90 BPM.
- Direction Changes: Do 4 reps of a “zig zag drill” (forward 8, left slide 8, forward 8, right slide 8).
- First rep - 90 BPM, all front slides
- Second rep - 180 BPM, all front slides
- Third rep - 90 BPM, all backslides
- Fourth rep - 180 BPM all backslides
- Effort changes: Moving only at 180 BPM, move forward 8 to 5 for 8 counts, then jazz run 4 to 5 for 8 counts, then 8 to 5 for 8 counts, then jazz run 4 to 5 for 8 counts.
- Backward motion: Run backwards for 20 yards.